DARK CHOCOLATE AVOCADO MOUSSE – Dairy Free
Makes 6 dessert servings
1 ripe Haas avocado, pitted (or 2 if available)
¼ cup brown sugar, light or dark
6 ozs. Dark chocolate, (such as bittersweet Callebaut) , chopped fine
½ teaspoon chile powder
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
Dash cayenne powder, to taste, optional
3 fresh egg whites
¼ cups white granular sugar
- Place chopped chocolate in glass bowl. Do NOT cover. Place in microwave on Power 3. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir and at Power 3, microwave another minutes until just melted. (Do not burn, if it is grainy - referred to as seizing – throw away.) Set aside.
- Scoop out avocado into bowl of food processor. Add the brown sugar, and process until smooth. Pour in the slightly cooled melted chocolate down the feed tube while food processor is running. Remove avocado-chocolate mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Carefully separate egg white (so no yolk in the whites). Place in metal bowl along with ¼ cups sugar over gently simmering water in small saucepan on stove. Whip constantly with hand mixer until soft peaks form. Remove from saucepan.
- Add a small amount of the whipped whites to the chocolate, and combine well to lighten the mixture.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the remaining egg whites, and fold in until combined.
- Scoop the mousse into 6 martini or other small serving dishes or wine goblets. Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hrs or overnight.
Garnish with berries, if desired, or whipped cream if dairy desired.
(Based on a show on tv, but can’t remember who originated the recipe.)