GRILLED CORN SALAD
There are so many options to this flavorful summer salad. Add or subtract vegetables as your like. Makes a heartier, colorful salad when black beans are added. Becomes a main meal when grilled shrimp are also added.
6 ears fresh corn, yellow or bi-color
½ cup diced red or yellow peppers
½ cup thinly sliced scallions, including tops
½ cup diced sweet red onion, optional
¼ cup canned diced mild green chiles, or fresh, diced jalapenos
½ cup diced fresh tomatoes
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, optional
¼ cup fresh basil, torn into small pieces,optional
¼ cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1 cup drained and rinsed canned black beans or black-eyed peas – optional
½ cup diced feta cheese, optional
3 Tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon chile powder, optional
Freshly ground black pepper
½ cup – 1 cup cubed Jalapeno Jack Cheese
Tabasco sauce, or the like, optional
1. If corn is not absolutely fresh, soak the corn ears in water for about ½ hour.
2. Over a hot fire, roast corn for 20-30 minutes, rotating ears as they cook. Let cool, then husk and remove the kernels as demonstrated.
3. Add all the vegetables to the roasted corn, and keep at room temperature.
4. In a small bowl, whisk the oil into the lime juice, salt and seasonings. Add just enough to coat the salad. Check for flavoring, and adjust as needed to your taste.
5. Add the cilantro and parsley just before serving.
Optional – Makes a great main dish
salad when grilled shrimp are added to the corn/vegetable mixture.
printer friendly recipe