GRILLED PEPPER SALADS
Here are two variations for roasted/grilled pepper salad, which are great accompaniments to grilled meats or poultry – or just a perfect addition to an antipasto platter – especially with crusty, grilled Italian bread.
4-5 large red, yellow or orange
peppers (try to pick square/oblong peppers)
1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, high quality
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Kosher or sea salt, and freshly ground black pepper
1 T. red wine vinegar, (a flavored one like opal basil is nice)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
Kosher or sea salt, and freshly ground white or black pepper
¼ teaspoon sugar, optional
2 Tablespoons capers, rinsed and drained
¼ cup thinly sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
1. Cut off tops and bottoms of peppers. Open the pepper lengthwise. Remove the seeds and ribs, and lay flat.
2. Heat grill, OR turn broiler on in oven.
3. On grill, place peppers skin side down over high heat. Grill until blackened on that side. OR place peppers skin side up on baking sheet, and place under broiler about 2-3” away from broiler source. Broil until peppers are evenly blackened. Place peppers in plastic bag and seal tightly. When peppers are cool enough to touch, remove charred skin.
4. Cut the skinned peppers into ¼ OR ½” strips (your preference).
5. Combine either of the marinade ingredients and add peppers strips. Let marinate for at least ½ hour before serving.
Personal preference dictates whether or not this salad is chilled. Peeled garlic cloves may be added to marinade if that flavor is desired.