THAI CHICKEN SPRING ROLLS - With Two Dipping Sauces
1 package dried rice spring roll skins (Bánh tráng – Rice Paper Wrappers)
4 ounce Rice Stick (Vermicelli Noodles) or Bean Thread Noodles
1 cup (about ½ pound) cooked chicken (or turkey or shrimp), sliced or cut into bite size pieces
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 cup thai basil leaves, or fresh mint leaves
1 cucumber, cut into matchstick-like pieces
1 cup grated fresh carrot
12 pieces fresh green or red leaf lettuce, washed and dried, shredded optional
1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook rice noodles for 2-4 minutes or until just soft. Drain, rinse with cold water to cool. Set aside.
2. Prepare all the remaining ingredients and have ready for rolls.
3. Fill a large bowl half full of hot water. Take one of the rice skins and place in bowl of hot water. It will take between 30-60 seconds for rice skin to soften. Remove from bowl and place on clean cotton dish towel or dampened paper towel.
4. Place a few pieces of the chicken in a horizontal line at the bottom third of the skin. Place a small portion of the cooked rice noodles over the chicken. Distribute some cucumber, carrots, cilantro, basil or mint leaves over the noodles. (optional to place lettuce leaf over the herb leaves)
5. Fold the bottom half of the rice skin over the filling, while using your fingers, press down the ingredients. Roll up as demonstrated, like a egg roll, burrito or cheese blintz. Serve with one of the following sauces.
THAI PEANUT DIPPING SAUCE
1 cup dry-roasted peanuts
1/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil (dark, toasted sesame oil)
2 Tablespoons brown sugar
2 Tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon chili sauce, or more to taste
Place all the ingredients in blender or food processor. Process thoroughly and taste for sugar and salt content, adding more brown sugar or fish sauce as needed. If too salty, can add a squeeze of lime juice. Add a small amount of water if thinner consistency desired.
LIME – CHILIE DIPPING SAUCE
¼ cup fresh lime juice
4 Tablespoons sugar
4 Tablespoons fish sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon Thai chilies, minced (to preferred spice level, to taste), optional
3 Tablespoons carrots, finely shredded
¼ cup warm water
In a bowl, whisk lime juice, sugar, fish sauce, garlic and chilies together until sugar is dissolved. Stir in carrots. Add warm water as needed to dilute concentration to desired taste level. Let stand 30 minutes before serving. Can be made 1 day ahead. Store covered; refrigerated.
Spring rolls if not covered tightly with plastic wrap or in a lid container, will harden when left exposed to air.